Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying

To: Ed Richardson <Ed_richardson@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying
From: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 10:07:18 +0300
Reasonable and well balanced comments in general Ed.

However, I tend to question the second part regarding "Learn to use the
cluster and effectively manage the balance between running for rate and
chasing mults".

This truth applied in times when each station used just one radio. Now, all
(I would dare to say) stations wanting to qualify for WRTC, at least in the
most competitive regions, must master the skills of SO2R. That means in
reality that station #1 is always running, while station #2 is used for
chasing multipliers and non-worked stations (in-band).

So what Assisted does, is actually only to change manual S&P on the second
radio, to a click euphoria on the cluster. The fastest operator with the
biggest muscles will make a short break in his Run operation with station
#1, and then just quickly run the multiplier that popped up on station #2.

So the talk about "balance between running and chasing" is not relevant
anymore.

One can easily understand that there is a huge difference between SO2R if
station is using or not using cluster and RBN/Skimmer. As operator without
the cluster/RBN, one has to manually search the second radio and listen
with the left ear to get the call, get the exchange, and first then take a
pause with station #1.

With Assisted, this mult hunt is much simplified.  We can even play with
the thought that someone in the future can mechanize the mult hunting
procedure by using decoders. RBN spots a mult, the radio jumps
automatically to the frequency, computer sends out your call once or twice,
decoder detects your call as confirmed by the other station, decoder
detects the exchange and your computer finishes the contact by
automatically sending the message to the station. It may not exist today,
or it may... but this is far from Science Fiction. Do we want that in our
sport?

This is where we will end up if we allow "evolution" to take place, and by
accepting Assisted as the "new modern way" to qualify to WRTC.

Keep in mind that already now, half of the contests in the qualification
list, are already assisted. No choice for unassisted in RDXC, WAE and AA as
I remember. If we at least keep unassisted demand in the remaining
contests, we already now have a tool to make sure people both master
assisted and unassisted categories.... By equalizing, we make sure that
manual S&P skills will sooner or later disappear, and we will be click
puppets of the cluster instead of traditional skilled contesters.

73 de Mats RM2D (SM6LRR)