Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 09:12:47 -0400
Qualifying should be based on the same philosophy. An excellent operator

using a typical home station will never outperform someone in the same

region driving a contest superstation. Perhaps there should be score

reductions based on antenna height and number of elements?

Ed VE4EAR

Couldn't agree more Ed.

I see all the complaints about EU zones, NA contests, weighting of contests
, assisted vs. unassisted etc. etc. but every one

of those can be overcome to some degree.  Work harder, learn to use the
cluster , play in contests with low rate and scores.etc.

There is one sticky wicket though:

How can a guy with a tribander, vertical  and inverted vees ever even HOPE
to compete against stations with huge

multiple stacks or high gain antennas on all bands?  We're talking world
class #1 super stations here, not an added tribander or a single monoband
yagi.

10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars worth of antennas, towers & primo
real estate..I am sure there is probably one in most (but of course not all)
zones.

He can't.

WRTC is not truly a fair competition.  Sure, maybe the day of it is, yes,
but to get there you need skill and very deep pockets.

Regards,

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB