Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest QTH, hilltop or seaside?

To: "Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest QTH, hilltop or seaside?
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 11:15:19 -0500
Hey Mike & HNY,

Having played at many VE1 & VE9 stations, and operating portable from many
others, I'd say that if you don't have an unlimited budget, go for either
the hill, or, my personal preference, a salt-marsh-y area.  Of course, for
non-ham reasons, salt marshes might not be the most appropriate locations.
  However, as many have reported, they are incredible locations for ham
radio and "simpler" antennas.   Perhaps you can find a location similar to
the W1KM operation, where the house is not "in the marsh", but is close
enough to place antennas.  Often, these areas are not that popular, and can
be had for reasonable funds.

Of course you know that Atlantic Canada gives you incredible signal
advantages to many parts of the world.  Just use HFTA to optimize as you
search available sites.

Flat land does work well from the maritimes -- we made great scores over
the years from small stations -- VE1DXA (VE1YX's landlocked farm in
Bridgewater, NS), VY2SS' old place (O'Leary, PE, now home to
VY2TT/PEIDxLodge) before it grew really big, and VE9DX's old place along
the river in St. John, NB.   None of these were particularly chosen for
optimum takeoff angle, but they sure did/do perform.

73, Gerry W1VE/VE1RM

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca