[CQ-Contest] Contest QTH, hilltop or seaside?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest QTH, hilltop or seaside?
From: Jim Breakall <jimb@psu.edu>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 00:46:35 -0500
Hello All,

This is an interesting topic for sure and I have experienced both hills and ocean with the volcano 300 foot high hilltop at my contest station built near Arecibo, Puerto Rico where we have used Angel's callsign, WP3R. The hill is the highest one in that part of north central Puerto Rico and you can see the ocean for almost 180 degrees to the north about 8 miles away. It is shaped like a cone with only about 100 feet flat on top and drops off very sharply in all directions. I always had my eye on this hilltop ever since going to the Arecibo Observatory back in the 70s and was lucky to be able to purchase the farm there in the 90s and build the contest station with the help of Nathan, NW3Z, Angel, WP3R, and Pedro, NP4A, and many others. The antenna tower there is only 60 feet high and the 10m OWA Yagi is only up 30ft. I think some of you may have heard the WP3R signal during sweepstakes some years ago on 10m with just a single 24 ft boom 6 element 10m Yagi up 30 ft. It is pretty amazing to hear signals from this hilltop.

Back in the early 90s, I had a project with the US Navy to measure the effects of a dipole and monopole in front of a hill, on top of a hill, and behind a hill for various frequencies at HF and use a helicopter trailing a measurement system to get the patterns for each of the cases. We then used a technique that is mainly used at microwaves and higher to model the terrain called the Geometrical Theory of Diffraction (GTD) / Uniform Theory of Diffraction (UTD). We used it at HF and used various plates for 2D modeling including the ground parameters and also later even used it with triangles to do 3D modeling of the hill, etc. The agreement between the measurements and the modeling were stunning and we reported on this work which was the first of its kind in the IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation. At the same time, I also communicated these results and the techniques to my good friends Brian Beezley, K6STI, and Dean Straw, N6BV, who both were extremely interested in making this available to Ham Radio. The rest is history with Brian's TA software and Dean's HFTA, etc. This made me so happy to be able to take something that was research at the time for the military and be able to transition all of this to the Ham Radio community. It was fortunate to have such clever programmers as Brian and Dean put
together all of this software and their work is remarkable.

Before I ever built the contest station in Puerto Rico, another friend, Bruce, WA3PTU, and I went to Puerto Rico in the late 70s and did a multi-op sweepstakes phone with just a 5BTV vertical that was placed right above the water some 10 feet past the beach on a stake. It was temporary and Bruce being a diver installed a few radials right into the saltwater and the ocean floor there. Since it was only for the weekend, we didn't care how long it would last. Wow !!!! The signals were fantastic since we were on the north central coast of KP4. We kept getting called from DX stations in SE Asia, India, Japan, etc. telling us how loud the signals were. There clearly is some amazing enhancement as others have reported with signals when an antenna is placed right at the boundary between land and the sea. I remember once being told by my old friend Sam Harris, W1FZJ (SK) at Arecibo that he feels his signal dropped some 20 dB when he moved from the beach to further inland. Someday, I will try to model this effect since there clearly is some interesting diffraction effects caused by that boundary. Of course, the lower angle radiation is so much enhanced also. I will never forget that sweepstakes ever with all the DX that kept calling us and we telling them we were in a USA only contest....haha.

I put in a few plots from TA which I still use especially for demonstrating diffraction effects since it works very fast in real time to interactively make changes. I actually put in the same GTD/UTD model of the original hill for the Navy work that was near Provo, Utah. I put a Hy-Gain 105CA 10m 5 element Yagi at 34 ft, 53 ft, and 103 feet on top of the 120 ft hill above the flat desert below. The gain at 34 feet is amazing and gets to almost 20 dBi which would take a nice stack of Yagis to do on flat ground at a very high height for the same gain at that low of an angle. We have such a stack of four 7 element OWA 10m Yagis (top 180 ft) at K3CR that just gets a little more gain as this at a low angle. I also put in a photo of what the same 105CA Yagi would do at 61 ft on flat ground too. At the higher heights on top of the hill, the gain is never close to 20 dBi and there are many peaks and nulls which is not very good at all. Dave Leeson, W6NL, knows all of this very well since he has a mountain top QTH near Montery Bay, CA and has written extensively on using the foreground
and low heights to enhance his signal at lower angles.

Happy New Year to all and hope you can see the photos.

I don't submit much to CQ Contest but do a lot of reading....haha. I hope this gets there.

73  Jim  WA3FET (K3CR, KC3R, WP3R)

--
James K. Breakall
Professor, Electrical Engineering