Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest QTH, hilltop or seaside?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest QTH, hilltop or seaside?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 13:46:56 -0800
On Thu,1/1/2015 7:46 PM, ScottW3TX@verizon.net wrote:
Is there an argument to be made for favoring plain vanilla flat land in all
directions, instead of a hill or mountaintop, so that the TOA's can be
optimized for all bands by antenna height/stacking for all important directions?

If you have the real estate and the dollars to support those stacks, sure. BUT -- having operated stations at the top of high ridges, they are the clear winner for moderate budgets. I ran QRP on FD from a 5,000 ft peak using a tribander on a short tower trailer, could hold a run frequency on all of the higher bands, and do very well on 80 and 40 with low dipoles.

I've also run from K6XX's excellent antenna farm at the top of a 2,700 ft ridge, with monobanders for each band at HFTA optimized heights, and with towers for those monobanders at locations optimized for EU, SA, VK/ZL, and JA. Bob is only three miles from me, but I'm 200 ft down that ridge on the Pacific side. Bob has only one tower taller than about 40 ft; it's more than 100 ft, and holds his 40M beam. The higher bands often open 30-60 minutes earlier for him than they do for me, and they last longer on the trailing end. He's also got a lot of land for RX antennas.

Bottom line -- EXCEPT for 160M, where high conductivity ground makes salt water and salt marsh locations ideal for the verticals we must user there, I'll take the location on a peak any time.

Another thing to watch out for that's probably more important -- RF noise. try to get as far away from civilization as possible, and think at least a decade ahead in your survey. N6RO and W3LPL were both in the boonies when they built their super stations; W3LPL has housing developments across the road, and they're increasingly surrounding N6RO. K6XX is at least a mile from noise sources, but he's had severe issues with noise from homes and businesses in the valley below him. I've got 8 acres, with the closest homes 500-1,000 ft away, but I've got more noise every year.

73, Jim K9YC