Re: [CQ-Contest] Posting Scores

To: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Posting Scores
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:19:39 -0400
I could not agree more, Ward.

You reap what you sow.

If you are at the top of the game in contesting, you get there due to your
hard work and skill -- but, you are also there because you have all those
stations to work.

All those stations you work are most certainly not at the same level as you
... they are small stations, newbies, casual ops and dedicated little
pistols.   The amateur population is always in churn.  So, there are a lot
of people coming in and out of the contest game.  For those who are very
new, understanding WHY we like contesting and HOW we do it is complex.  You
can talk strategy all day long... but watching it on a scoreboard is simple
-- they see the thrill of competition.   I've been a crew in large yacht
racing in the past -- the class rules are somewhat complex -- but watching
yacht racing scoreboards still brings back the thrill.

Top Ten ops have better things to do than look at a scoreboard.  You can
worry about someone detecting your strategy, but, I'd say that if a true
competitor at YOUR skill level is trying to gain an advantage by looking at
a scoreboard, that is a loosing proposition.   There are just too many
other important things to be doing.  However, I think many other people
would be motivated be seeing your amazing work!

So, those of you in the top ten -- reconsider.   Posting your score helps
RadioSport, and I'd be willing to bet that it will not be a factor in a
loosing bid.

73, Gerry W1VE