[CQ-Contest] Log Checking Technology

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Log Checking Technology
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 10:56:06 -0400
To answer N2IC's question...

Maybe my statement about contest cheating and people not being caught might be
a little strong, considering I don't personally don't have any evidence. But
consider the following:

1. Do you truly believe that those Italian stations that give you 300 watts as
their power are really running that much power? A case could also be made for
countries like G, PA etc where I think the limit is 400 watts. Plus 200 watt
Russians with big signals.

2. Just about every DX contest there are many EU stations with wide signals
spattering all over the place or with key clicks or an image of their signal on
the band they are operating on. On the DQ list for CQWW CW there are only three
stations caught for this? Plus only one for SSB?

3. No one caught for transmitting two signals in  SO category. I find that had
to believe. I guess everyone who has a lockout has perfected their system?

4. Go on Google and search "ham radio contest cheating". You will find plenty
of blogs that discuss cheating that goes on in EU.

So I have lots of suspicions but no hard evidence. I'm pretty sure CQ doesn't
investigate many things unless someone complains to them. That would make sense
considering it's all volunteer's.  Also, I would imagine they probably do go
thru entries whose scores are off the charts when compared to to their
competition with all resources that are available. Also for close finishes in a
category to make sure they get it right, much like what they do for WRTC.

Jeff