Re: [CQ-Contest] Q-Signals for Contesting

To: oz1fao@osa.dk, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Q-Signals for Contesting
From: K8MR via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 12:22:23 -0400

There are many bad signal situations that are not bad tone. In the YT1A case I
mentioned, the big thing was spurious signals (with good tone) +/- 400 Hz, plus
I believe some phase noise.

Others have mentioned sending a non-9 value for the T in RST.  This has several
problems:

1. The serious problems are not tone problems.

2. 5NN is so programmed into the exchange routine that it is tough to change it
in an instant.

3. If running, you probably will not immediately notice a bad (wide) signal
from a guy calling you. Before telling a guy he has a seriously bad signal, you
will want to listen to it for more than one QSO exchange. This means calling a
guy who is running.

4. There needs to be a way to quickly tell a guy (who is CQing) that he has a
bad signal, other than working him.

QCS?  Q - Crappy Signal ?      Other suggestions?

73  -  Jim  K8MR