Re: [CQ-Contest] Proposed rule changes

To: "'Jeff Stai'" <wk6i.jeff@gmail.com>, "'Dennis McAlpine'" <dbmcalpine@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Proposed rule changes
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 16:15:01 -0400
> Here is the proposed wording:
>
>  Correction of logged call signs and exchanges after a QSO is complete – by
> using use of any database, recordings, email or other methods of confirming
> QSOs – is not allowed.
>
> I don't see how that prohibits post-contest correction of typos and the like.
> 73 jeff wk6i

Because "other methods" is so broad as to prevent you from looking at a call,
realizing you got it wrong (say, based on experience or a list of active calls
you saw before the contest) and changing it. Even a nanosecond after you hit
Enter.

 As worded, the change prohibits any editing of the log. The additional rule
under Logging also prohibits most editing of the log, but it's more rational:
what you log must match what you sent and received. This allows you to correct
typos, provided the log matches what was sent and received (as, for example,
recorded by you or the committee.)

But the new wording in IX.9 eliminates the ability to correct typos, resulting
in a potential penalty for busted copy and/or breaking the logging rule. In my
opinion, there's no need for this change because the "log must match what was
sent and received" standard is the correct one, and the previous wording of
IX.9 prohibited any alteration of the log after the contest. If you sent and
received everything correctly, but made a typo in your log, you could correct
it during the contest in order to comply with the logging rule.

73, Dick WC1M