Re: [CQ-Contest] Proposed rule changes

To: "'Jeff Stai'" <wk6i.jeff@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Proposed rule changes
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 14:12:03 -0400
Yes, it’s silly. And remember I’m not advocating for the revised rules. I’m
just trying to interpret them.

I think your “note on paper” example technically would qualify as an edit
because you used it to correct the log that will be submitted. It doesn’t
matter whether you made a mental note, scratched it down on paper or used the
log program Note feature. Re-entering the QSO would fail that test as well. The
intent of the rule appears to be that you cannot make any corrections to the
log that will be submitted once the QSO is completed.

I agree with VE4XT that “QSO is completed” has not been defined. Is that when
the runner sends TU? Is it when both parties have hit Enter on their log entry?
Or is it when you’re satisfied that the log entry matches what was sent and
received (which is really what the committee should be concerned about when it
comes to edits during the contest.)

Re-entering the QSO might work. Then it’s a dupe and the log checker will use
whichever version is correct. In fact, you may have found a way around the
whole silly thing. The new rule doesn’t explicitly state that you can’t *add* a
QSO after the fact. However, I suppose the committee could rule that this is
technically a violation because the intent is to correct a previous entry.

The case you describe where the other station comes back later and corrects his
call or exchange is different. I think you can finesse that one by creating a
duplicate log entry because it really does qualify as a new QSO – the
information has been sent and received again. Also, you had to take the time to
complete a new QSO. However, I think *all* of the information would have to be
sent and received again to qualify as a new (duplicate) QSO.

Note that regardless of the above, as long as your log matches a hypothetical
broad-spectrum recording of the contest, there’s no way the committee can tell
that you changed a QSO – during or after the contest. So, in that sense it’s an
unenforceable rule that seems completely unnecessary in light of the fact that
the logging rule clearly establishes that what’s in the log must match what’s
sent and received. That, in theory, is actually enforceable.

Who cares if you corrected a typo during the contest? It requires time to do
that – time that takes away from completing another QSO. You make an error and
have to correct it, and you pay a price.

Corrections after the contest are another story. Like I said, the old version
of the rule, perhaps updated to remove “of confirming QSOs”, makes sense to me:
No editing of the log after the contest. Period. In fact, it would be much
simpler to simply have a rule that says exactly that. I have long felt that
editing after the contest extends operating time, so it shouldn’t be allowed.
By postponing an edit and running another station, you gain an advantage. Also,
it opens the floodgates to post-contest corrections based on databases, email,
reflector posts, packet/RBN history, etc.

Now, like a lot of this stuff, it’s not really possible to verify whether the
edit took place during or after the contest, as long as it matches the
recording. But I still think it needs to be a rule that you can’t edit after
the contest. Rule IX.9 used to say almost that.

73, Dick WC1M