Re: [CQ-Contest] Proposed rule changes

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, wc1m73@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Proposed rule changes
From: Kris Mraz <n5kilomike@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 15:42:59 -0500
I think you're on to something, Dick. A way to eliminate the problem
of log massaging is to require all QSOs
to be logged in real time to a central server run by the contest
sponsor. This wouldn't require any new
technology. It could be implemented today (with some money required
for the necessary hardware and a
software update).

Even remote island contest expeditions have access to the internet via
satellite. Logging could be
handled by a very low bandwidth link.

Kris N5KM

Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 14:15:28 -0400
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>

I'd love to see a rule that the log has to be submitted immediately,
but the argument has been that some competitive stations don't have
access to the Internet -- for example, someone doing a Dxpedition to a
remote island. Also, CQWW still accepts paper logs.

That said, I think we're getting close to a way to enforce the rule
against editing logs by using broad-spectrum recordings, at least for
CW and digital contests. If we can get to the point where there are
enough recording stations around the world, enough redundancy and good
enough software to merge it all into a giant master log of the
contest, then it won't matter when the logs are submitted. If QSOs
don't match the master log, they won't count and may be penalized.

73, Dick WC1M