Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day SO2R

To: "'K5WA'" <K5WA@Comcast.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day SO2R
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 22:37:11 -0400
"A couple of years ago"??

The no-octopus rule goes back a heck of lot further than that.  IIRC, it
goes back at least to the 1980's, and probably back to the 70's.

It was not an idiotic or politically motivated rule.  It was put in place to
prevent some people from cheating, pure and simple.

(That someone would take FD seriously enough to cheat at their true
category, just to have bragging rights over someone else, is a sad tale, but
is not the point.)

Obviously the no-octopus rules did not anticipate SO2R as we know it today
(yes, I know some people had the technology and skill to do it back then)

Rather than condemn the rule, especially without knowing anything about the
history behind it... in short, if you don't like it, might it not be more
constructive to suggest a rewording of the rule that permits innovation
while still achieving the primary purpose, to wit, that a club can't claim a
smaller number of transmitters QRV at any one time than what they are
actually operating?

73, ron w3wn