Re: [CQ-Contest] 2014 SSB Sweepstakes Scoring Question

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2014 SSB Sweepstakes Scoring Question
From: Wes Plouff <nwplouff@att.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 17:41:33 -0400
Okay, everyone, calm down. I did get the Clean Sweep mug at my club banquet. Sorry for not making that clear. When the mugs were handed out, the emcee made a joke that led me to the W1AW/portable scoring error, and eventually to me posting to the CQ-Contest reflector. I read the digest version, so apologies if someone else has already raised the same points I do.

This message is to tell everyone what happened.

First of all, thanks for the support from several contesters both on and off the reflector. Several of you made good suggestions for dealing with my situation. One ham who scores another ARRL contest (you know who you are!) wrote that he had noticed the same problem and modified his log check software to deal with multiple W1AW/p stations active simultaneously.

That e-mail and others confirmed my original concern that there was a scoring glitch in the 2014 Sweepstakes. Steve VE3RX confirmed that ARRL was aware of it. So I got the information I asked for. But wait, there's more!

In a different thread, Steve London N2IC wrote "I do feel responsibility for 'getting it right.' " He and another behind-the-scenes volunteer went to bat for me with ARRL HQ. This afternoon I got a nice message from Matt Wilhelm W1MSW, the ARRL Contest Branch manager. Matt wrote, "[Y]our analysis of the problem with W1AW portable stations and log checking is accurate." Matt also wrote that following his conversation with VE3RX at Dayton and, probably, what I've managed to stir up here, the contest staff "will take a look at how we can revisit the results."

That's more than I asked for. So now I have another request for the list. Don't write those angry e-mails to ARRL. They've already noticed the issue, and they're dependent on volunteers to supplement a fairly thin staff, so whatever happens won't be quick. As for me, even with the W1AW/5 deduction, I still got a better score than the year before, and I'm drinking coffee from my nice green mug.

73,

Wes Plouff AC8JF
Royal Oak, Michigan