[CQ-Contest] 2014 SSB Sweepstakes Scoring Question

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 2014 SSB Sweepstakes Scoring Question
From: Wes Plouff <nwplouff@att.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 18:35:12 -0400
Hello to the CQ-Contest list! I have a question about a possible one-time issue with ARRL Sweepstakes scoring. I'm wondering if others have seen the same issue. I've sent an e-mail to contests@arrl.org with no response after a week.

In the 2014 SSB Sweepstakes, I worked W1AW/1 in Rhode Island and W1AW/5 in Mississippi. W1AW/5 was my only contact in MS, and I thought I had contacted all 83 sections. As a small-time contester, I was thrilled to make a clean sweep.

Well, at my club banquet in June, when coffee mugs were handed out, it turns out none of us who thought we had clean sweeps were credited by the ARRL. So I looked up my logcheck file. It turns out that the log checking software marked W1AW/5 as a dupe, thus invalidating my MS multiplier and clean sweep. One of the other club members reported the same had happened to him.

I'm not upset at this, my final score is still respectable, but I am curious. This may have been a glitch because W1AW/portable operation during the ARRL Centennial year was unique to 2014. I'm wondering: have any other hams gotten into a situation where contacts with multiple W1AW/?? callsigns were invalidated by the checker? Has anyone heard a good explanation about why such contacts should or should not be counted as dupes?

73,

Wes Plouff AC8JF
Royal Oak, MI