Re: [CQ-Contest] 2014 SSB Sweepstakes Scoring Question

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2014 SSB Sweepstakes Scoring Question
From: Steve Gorecki VE3RX <ve3cwj@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 10:20:34 -0400
Wes, I too got stung by the log checking software for SSB Sweepstakes. In
my case, I set a new record for A class on the ONN section. Having W1AW/5
marked as a dupe reduced my record score (not by much - 160 points or so,
but never the less...)
I did contact ARRL contest people, and they said "everyone was affected the
same way, so no problem". I disagreed. What if someone beats my record by
just 100 points next year? I would be ticked off by the fact I should still
hold the record, if not for the ARRL log checking software error.
I did discuss it once more with Matt, W1MSW at Dayton. Seems not enough
people are complaining about this "error" in the ARRL log checking
software. ARRL seems to think since this W1AW situation "only happens every
100 years", and only in SS, they were not going to change the log checking
software. It is a fact, the current log checking software that ARRL uses
ignores anything after the "/" in cases of "portable" since it assumed
there cannot be portable operation in different sections.

My comment was that they should manually check all the top 5 scores of
every category and section, plus "clean sweeps" (as now evident in your
case), and manually correct this error if it exists. More people need to
check their LCR, and complain about any "dupe" for W1AW/1 and W1AW/5

Steve
VE3RX / VE3CWJ
EN96kk
ONN section