[CQ-Contest] WRTC 2018 - Area Activity

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2018 - Area Activity
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 12:16:20 -0400
If you have a small station you really don't have much a chance to qualify
unless you have a friend who has a large station and allows you to operate.
Another possibility is your friend qualifies and picks you as their teammate.
Also, if you live in an area without a lot of active contesters that improves
your chances. That's just how it goes in contesting.

In 2006 I was lucky to go and operate in WRTC from Brazil. The only reason
K4BAI and I were picked is everything fell in place (maybe the stars aligned in
our favor?) because people ahead of us had to drop out. I can still remember
the day John called me to tell me he qualified , despite being 8th in the
standings in our area, and asked me be to be his partner. BTW our area included
the east coast, by far the hardest region to win in the US. The whole WRTC
experience is still the highlight of my life as a ham. We placed pretty well in
the final standings too.

Despite having the odds stacked against you it's still possible for a miracle
to happen like it did for John and I but it's rare.

It's really too late to change the rules for Germany so it's not really
productive to complain. Moving forward I would like to see the sponsor have
more competitors.

This could be accomplished by having the competitor bring his own station. Many
a DXpedition has proved that something as simple as a K3-KPA500-vertical or
wires station ( or something similar) can produce an effective signal. This
would save the sponsor a ton of money to not buy towers, antennas etc like they
do now. They would need to just secure the operating sites. The FD approach has
worked very well in the last couple events.

Keep the qualifying in place and pay for the area winner expenses the way it's
done now. If you don't make it into that group allow a bunch of wildcard teams,
where that team pays a small entry fee to compete and pay their own expenses. I
think this would be a win-win situation.

I don't have much of a chance to win my area for WRTC 2018 since the
competition is pretty heated this time ,so I'm not trying real hard this time.
I'm still hope I can make it to Germany in 2018 as a spectator, which is almost
a good as being a competitor.

Jeff