Re: [CQ-Contest] Linux Logging Programs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Linux Logging Programs
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 08:13:48 -0600
On 10/21/2015 12:24 AM, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
I made a device of Arduino MEGA ADK.  This device
is placed between PC and USB keyboard on USB line, and reassigns a key to
another key or a sequence of keys.  With this device, I can use usual key
assignments even with other logging softwares.  This device behaves as an HID
one utilizing system standard driver, and doesn't require a special driver or
a software installed on PC.  So I can use this at whichiever PC(Windows, Mac
and Linux) environment.

Why a hardware/firmware solution when there are simple, free, software solutions, such as AutoHotKey (for Windows) ?

In addition, this device communicates with another
Arduino MEGA which sits between the radio and PC on CAT line.  The
communication is used for submitting a RIT clear command to the radio by
typing a pre-assigned key.  This is useful for the logging software which
never issues RIT clear command over CAT.  For those who doesn't care the
troublesome and frequent hand moving back and forth for RIT manipulation,
this may not be useful.

What contesting software doesn't have the capability to send a RIT clear command ? Yes, there are radios that don't support an RIT clear command, but that isn't the fault of the contesting software.

73,
Steve, N2IC