Re: [CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?
From: John Boudreau <John_Boudreau@gov.nt.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 01:16:44 +0000
I'd like to throw out the suggestion that everyone in an "Assisted" category
gets "x" number of self-spots per contest.  It then becomes an interesting
strategic decision when and where to use your few self-spots over the duration
of the contest.  Do you use it to announce that you're on a "dead" band that
you KNOW is open to somewhere?  Do you use one to tell that you're hiding in a
remote corner of the band and listening somewhere else?  Perhaps one to perk up
a dying run on a crowded band?  It would add a dimension far better than
"everybody gets spotted" with RBN.

The actual number would have to be decided upon but I'm thinking like 20 or so
in a contest.  Penalties would have to be somewhat harsh for going over the
magic number, say 100 QSO penalty per over-spot?

73
John VE8EV