Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote op & Who is this guy, really?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote op & Who is this guy, really?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 17:30:09 -0400
Scott and I go back as casual contesting friends a few years, but I will say
I kinda smirked/laughed/smiled when I read the following that he wrote.(see
below)

I smirked,  as NB is even more North-Easterly than the "..coastal portion of
Maine.." that Scot wrote about (where it might be windier at times, but
temps are generally more temperate), and us as VE9's are constantly faced
with these challenges and MORE!

I am sure guys in VO2 or KL7 laugh at the challenges in VE9 too ! (so
everything's relative.)

I know a couple years ago there was an ice-up in W4 and they cried that the
sky was falling, yet we see that here every winter.

Anyways..I am only poking fun in the slightest way and pretty much agree
with Scott/W3TX, but had to get my 2Canuckcents in just the same.

73 de Mike VE9AA...where it's already snowed a few times this year , and
yes, we've had black ice a few mornings too.

W3TX said:

".

In October I took an exploratory trip to the most northeastern coastal

portion of Maine to evaluate a contest station project there. The station

would be able to be operatedon-site or remotely. I would probably operate

on-site during good travel weather and remotely during winter weather when

travel isn't as safe or timely.

Based on my exploratory trip: I can assure those that question how

difficult it is to build, maintain, and operate a remote station that it

is much, much harder than doing the same thing in your own yard. In these

remote areas services are not easily available.  The closest Lowes was a

2-3 hour drive.  The closest hospital was a 2 hour drive. The closest

crane was 5 hours away. No stores are open 24 hours. The power flickered

from time to time. I never saw a UPS or FedEx truck my entire time there.

If something breaks I would have to drive 15 hours one way to fix it. Oh,

and the weather wasn't the most hospitable. Fortunately, the people there

were super-nice and seemed entertained by the eccentric looking professor

guy toting around a radio connected by a black wire to an aluminum stick.

<snip>

. And the propagation in Maine is much

better to EU than the region where I live. I am attracted to the

technological challenges of remote contesting. Overcoming them will be

very rewarding!

<snip>

73, Scott W3TX

Mike, Coreen & Corey