[CQ-Contest] CQWW 160 CW: Early Hours Suggestion

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW 160 CW: Early Hours Suggestion
From: jmaass@k8nd.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 12:05:50 -0500
Jim W8WTS and I are ready to go at PJ2T for the CQWW 160 CW Contest this
weekend.

One of the things I did during the "off season" is analyze one of our
frustrations: the fact that we can hear Europe at the beginning of the contest,
but they *never* answer us. This is the phenomonon we call "Europe feeding upon
itself", working the fast fellow European QSOs and not listening outside.

For PJ2T, the average time from the beginning of the contest to our first
Europe QSO has been 2 hours 43 minutes (at almost 0100Z). Time following our
sunset to the first Europe QSO has been 1 hour 18 minutes.

During this frustrating period, we are CQing and slowly starting to work USA
stations as darkness starts to move across the East Coast and beyond. We also
hear US stations trying to call Europe, and having the same success in that
venture as we do in the early hours. US stations are also "feeding on
themselves".

If I have a point, it is that USA stations might try to call PJ2T (and other
Caribbean and South American stations) in the first few hours of the contest,
*before* we turn our recieving antennas with priority towards Europe until
European sunrise at essentially 0800Z.  We are not busy early, and priority is
nearly 100% in the USA direction for the first few hours. To be sure, we listen
on the US Beverage (and other receiving antennas in other directions) during
European darkness after they start listening outside for us, but priority is
generally on working Europe while they are in dark. If you call and call
without reply from the US, chances are that we are looking for the European
multipliers on our Europe Beverage, and we don't hear you!

One other peeve to address, especially for Europe stations: if you call CQ,
PLEASE allow enough time between calls for someone to be heard!  Often, there
is insufficient time even for our short 'PJ2T' call to be complete before the
next CQ has begun. It's not like 20-meters: Topband requires a bit more
listening time to allow for QSB and to allow you to listen on ALL your
receiving antennas for those responding!

That is all: everyone have fun on Topband!  Oh, and work PJ2T!  :-)

73,  Jeff  PJ2/K8ND