Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW 160 CW: Early Hours Suggestion

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW 160 CW: Early Hours Suggestion
From: Franki ON5ZO <on5zo@telenet.be>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 20:31:10 +0100
Jeff PJ2/K8ND says:
>"PLEASE allow enough time between calls for someone to be heard!"

Why risk some rudeboy invading your run frequency because 'it was clear' for
more than 1000 milliseconds?

> "and to allow you to listen on ALL your receiving antennas for those
responding!"

Yes emphasize the ALL.
I don't think many people around here have an RX antenna for 160, apart from
the TX antenna.
Many of the EU's you refer to would be happy to actually have at least something that radiates more or less on Top Band and to make some local contacts. RX antennas are out of the question for most.
And we can't all log in to remote receivers over IP (RXoIP?). Should we want
to. Which I don't.

Rudy N2WQ says:

>"You guys should try the RAEM contest."

Correct. Reserve that weekend NOW while it's still free.

>"Must be one of the most frustrating ones"

Partially correct, depends on your expectations.

> "as nobody bothers listening towards NA."

Incorrect. I usually start at my sunrise to work the Russians on the higher
bands.
Because I always said I should, I started early last edition (Dec 2015) hoping to work some USA on 40/80. I worked only a handful. I even stayed there after my sunrise in the hope to work some high point DX from the West, while everyone was already on 20/15. So if people don't bother to listen for NA in RAEM, it's because we don't expect much from that side of the world in that specific contest. Too bad since it's distance based scoring. Which is MUCH FUN!

By the way, since I use a single vertical wire that more or less radiates, I
*always* listen TOWARDS NA. And cross fingers to actually hear something that's
loud enough to decipher.

73 de Franki ON5ZO / OQ5M