Re: [CQ-Contest] Your Call?

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Your Call?
From: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:13:45 +0000
I listened for three.. maybe four exchanges.. no call... moved on... no problem
for me.... I'll find another.. will they?
 Called the Hi speed guys.. got their attention.. but they couldn't copy..
and I did this any number of times.. to a number of the "top" ops.. not from
spite.. but because it worked that way,
it is absolutely amazing how fixated we get on RATE, RATE, RATE...   we forget
that actually HEARING THE CALL, is essential to logging it. On with the point..
I'd repeat my call.. two, three, four times... at the same speed the other op
insisted on going..
then.. because I ran out of patience.. I'd slow down.. to 25 maybe 30 wpm.. so
THEY could copy...
NOT because they couldn't copy at that speed.. because it was too fast for
them.. but because 35 - 45 was
too fast for the CONDITIONS OF THAT PATH!!!    I was qrp.. and qrp or WEAK
signals get through at 25 - 30.. or slower..
maybe down as slow as 20.. NOT slower.. This has to do with our brains.. and
how they hear .. it also has to do with
SNR and how it functions through rx.
  oh.. and one more point..Those that had bad signals.. likely didn't get
called by me.. now being qrp.. and in Wy..
that is not a loss for me.... was it for each of them?... not likely.. I am so
sure that they each have a Wy mult. Didn't they?
 See you in the next test too!!
72,
Dale - WC7S in WY