Re: [CQ-Contest] ....youth in contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ....youth in contesting
From: Bill Mader <billamader@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:54:25 -0600
This is both an interesting and perennial topic, both for contesting
specifically and ham radio in general.  Many elements of it do not bode
well for this aspect of the hobby nor the hobby in general.  We desperately
need more active HF operators to keep this (2nd best after sports car
racing which is very similar in many aspects to contesting) hobby viable.

That sub-set of racing has similar problems to radiosport.  It's mostly
populated by older participants who both have the necessary time and
money.  They go to all the trouble and expense to do it and frequently drop
out after three-seven years.  There is a corollary for most of the good and
bad aspects of both hobbies.  Getting "youngsters" involved in both is very
challenging!

Dave is correct that many, if not most, young operators come to the rig via
relatives.  A great example is two of our Club (Albuquerque DX Association)
members' grandkids have participated in several FD GOTA operations.  Two of
them often eclipse rates of more "seasoned" (chronologically-speaking)
members QSO's/hour rates.

Neither operates HF the rest of the year and rarely turns on their HT's
grandpa gave them.  They haven't reached the point yet where they want to,
or can, erect an antenna for HF.  Both are headed to college.  Another
member's son is in the same boat.  However, it's highly possible all three
may not recover from this bug and eventually get on HF and contest.

I commend Gerry for his efforts to introduce novices (in the ham radio
contesting sense) to HF operating.  The overwhelming percentage of licensed
hams in the U.S.A. do not operate HF, to say nothing of contest.  Like many
my age and license tenure (70/56), I am fortunate to have had the interest
and stamina necessary get on HF, stay on HF, and join the radiosport
community.

A couple of us (or more) will put on "HF Academy" at the Duke City Hamfest
(Albuquerque) this coming August.  We see the need for and the value of
doing something like this.  We hope we can promote it well enough to need a
large room for those who will attend.

We've done DX University and our own Contest Academy the preceding two
years.  We believe there is a much bigger need and a greater return for an
HF Academy.  An introduction to Radiosport and DXing will be two of the
topics we plan to cover.  We hope to see an increase in FD participation
for all local clubs who field one or more stations and, more importantly, a
lot more HF operation from NM.

73, and Good Luck in the Contest, Bill, K8TE

--
73, Bill, K8TE