Re: [CQ-Contest] K5GO speaks out for youth in contesting

To: "<cq-contest@contesting.com>" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] K5GO speaks out for youth in contesting
From: "ve4xt@mymts.net" <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 10:53:16 -0500

> Change is good so long as you don't change amateur radio
> into something that is internet-dependent rather than
> amateur-band-RF-dependent.

I don't think Internet/non-Internet is the hill we die on.

We're not fighting to preserve liberty, to fend off Fascist dictators or
overthrow an oppressive regime. We're simply trying to keep our little bit of
RF spectrum for our own little playground.

I think this is the same kind of fight the die-hard AMers fought against SSB,
that spark-gap aficionados fought against continuous wave and this little thing
we like to call selectivity, that railroad telegraph operators fought against
Hertzian waves and that carrier-pigeon breeders fought against mail.

If not opposing a hybrid system for some allows us to also keep our little
radio-only corner of the world, is that better than killing it off altogether?

Or would you prefer we meet our Waterloo and die a losing and meaningless
battle? Where would we be now if the sparkgapians had decided to blow the whole
thing up rather than concede to CW?

73, kelly, ve4xt