Re: [CQ-Contest] CW with FLDigi?

To: VK4TS Trent Sampson <vk4ts@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW with FLDigi?
From: Richard Eversole <rick@eversoles.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 07:39:04 -0700
OK, I did a study in 2014/2015 of all the software decoders I could get my
hands on at the time and noted that Skimmer was simply the best for decode.
It offers multi-channel decode which is important if you even think you
want to run (would not recommend with any software decoder).

fldigi, dm780 (part of hamradio deluxe) and cwget were a distant 2nd.

I have a whole presentation on the study (at home not here at work).

While Skimmer is good and it might have won in 2009 study over humans, I
worked FT5ZM without the aid of skimmer which could register no signal.
Took me a couple to be sure they were working me...  and I still do not
know the code.... If you hear me on CW, it's with software.

Only do S&P with software, even skimmer is challenged in a pile-up.

As for being able to click and log with these, only do that if you are
physically challenged, much easier to type into the software for CW.

It would be nice to see the software people get the click to capture
working with the loggers but so few people actually use the software that
it is probably not likely to be totally fixed.

Rick "The Rhino" N6RNO
@Tehama October 1-2, 2016 (Probably)
Where will you be?

http://www.cqp.org