Re: [CQ-Contest] CW with FLDigi?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW with FLDigi?
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 17:21:42 -0400
Barry:

The use of Morse Code for the CW mode was "perhaps" invented as a "language" for humans. But it originated as a visual mode, ink on paper tape. Samuel F B Morse's original Land line operators learned to copy in their heads - by hearing the clatter of relays in Inker Machine which they were reading and translating into either handwritten or typewritten language. After hours of doing this, they learned that they didn't really need to inked copy to understand what was being sent. So, the Land Line code, if not the use of International Morse on Radio, was invented as a mechanically aided mode of transmission and decoding.

Methinks we aging olde fogeys get set in a rut. We do the same things year after year. We even hate new technology, like the current fight between "assisted and non-assisted." Methinks that we would be better to embrace the fact that people do NOT need to know the International Morse Code to become hams these days, and offer them ways to join in the CW parts of contesting while they're learning the code. Some of us "look down upon" members of our fraternity who did not need to copy code to obtain a license, rather than embracing them, teaching them "the ropes....", "elmering" them....

I was asked by a fellow ham, who has a portable rig, along with a basic knowledge of FL-Digi operation, whether this could be used for a few CW contacts during the Michigan QSO party. He's learning CW, slowly, but learning. He'd like to have a taste of CW Contesting, most likely because in the MiQP we get multipliers by county and state, and by mode. He doesn't feel proficient enough to try copying without help. Should I tell him he isn't a ham because he didn't have to copy 20 WPM to get his license like I did in 1954? Should I NOT offer him whatever help I can, backed by the assembled expertise of the people on this forum? I'm no expert on FLdigi or other ways to decode CW so I'm asking here.

I case my rest.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time

p.s. My son, who is proficient in the use of a keyboard, frequently uses voice recognition to send text messages and e-mail messages. Is this a crime? Methinketh not.