Re: [CQ-Contest] Idea for re-defining categories - long

To: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Idea for re-defining categories - long
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:53:10 -0400
Duane,

Good thoughts.  Beware of unintended consequences.

If it goes this way, we will end up with 100 categories in a contest, and
it will be meaningless.  Let's look at another hobby: Sailboat racing.
Even the smallest competitor can use advanced technology.  Sail racing
classes are broken up similarly to how we do it in radio contests now.

In VHF contesting, ARRL broke up MultiOp into Multi-Limited and
Multi-Unlimited?  What did that do?  It let a few
people who complained about not winning win, in a completely new category.
It was not a good strategy overall, because
it encourages less activity on parts of the spectrum, and leaves the few
big unlimited folks with no one to compete against.
If winning in your own category is the goal of these proposed changes, it
does not make much sense.     We have old records without technology, and
new records with.   Surely we can find more creative ways to make people
happy?

Remote operation can be "Boy and his Radio", if the operator chooses to
operate it that way.  Placing Remote in a separate category is simply
prejudice or ignorance of the technology, IMHO.

Your proposals sound like "us" vs the "other" -- anything that is not "boy
and his radio" should be categorized something "else".

Not a great way to grow Radiosport and be inclusive.

73, Gerry W1VE