Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change

To: kr2q@optimum.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change
From: Hal Offutt <hal@japancorporateresearch.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 15:39:24 -0400
I would like to pass on a few thoughts about the comments made by KR2Q. I have not seen Randy's article yet, so I cannot comment on it.

First, on a general note, I really object to the phrase "combining SO with SOA" that is used not only by Doug but by many others in this discussion. This makes it sound like all operators are being accommodated in one big, happy category. But it is not a fair description. What we're really talking about is the elimination of the single operator (non-assisted) category, the category that has been the mainstay of the CQWW DX contest since its very beginning. If this were to happen, single operators would no longer have a category in which they could compete with each other and would have no choice but to enter the remaining category that allows (necessitates?) assistance. Those who wish to operate assisted have been able to operate as they wish for years. They have been generously accommodated so that they can use new technology and practices and compete among themselves. Yet now some are advocating that we deny the same thing to single operators. What a terrible injustice it would be if those operators were suddenly told that SO is no longer a category. How can we even think about such a step?

Second, with regard to the EU, in the survey that Doug mentions, Europeans favoring the so-called "combining" did NOT constitute a majority of respondents. Of 2,584 EU respondents, 47.1% answered yes, 44.2% answered no and 8.6% answered no opinion. There is a slight bias in favor, but this hardly represents an EU consensus for "combining" the two categories.

Furthermore, regarding the overall survey (and not just EU), I am still trying to understand how it is fair for the survey to ask those who prefer to operate assisted whether they think the SO category should be eliminated. Why should their opinions on the subject count? They can operate the way they want, and their results are compared with others operating in the same way. Why should they care or have a voice in the matter? And I can't help wondering what the result would have been had the question been worded "Do you favor eliminating the single operator category?" I can't believe that many of my fellow contesters around the world would answer yes to the question put in this way.

To see what contesters really think, why not look at the categories they actually enter? 55% of last year's CQWW SSB logs were submitted in the single operator category. (I have not seen the figures for 2015 CW yet and not enough data is given in the writeup for 2014 CW.) In the 2015 WPX contests, according to N4TZ, 60% of entrants in both modes entered the SO category. Do these figures represent any kind of overwhelming consensus in favor of a single category? Quite the opposite, I think. And even should SOA logs eventually outnumber SO logs, would that be any reason to eliminate the SO Category?

As to Doug's questions about what the contest sponsors are capable of and whether the SO results have meaning, there is no doubt that policing the line between SO and SOA is difficult and that this is taking up a lot of volunteer time in the log checking process (at least for the CQWW). I see at least four aspects to this problem. First is awareness, or the lack thereof, of the definition of SO, and here I would suggest a much clearer explanation in the rules (BOLD, RED PRINT) and in the log submission process. When an entrant submits a SO log, a window should pop up spelling out very clearly that the submitter is certifying on his honor that he/she has not used outside assistance (which should be defined in detail in red print). This may eliminate a part of the problem. I believe most people want to follow the rules. Second, despite the log checking efforts, SO results may have less meaning in certain countries than in others. Some operators in some countries seemingly have fewer scruples about cheating than operators in other countries. There is only so much that the contest sponsor can do about this; it is an issue for the operators in those countries to solve, not the contest sponsor. Maybe we have to accept that the results from countries X, Y and Z simply are less reliable than the norm and push for improvement in the future. That cheating is rampant in X country is not a valid reason for eliminating the most popular operating category. Third, yes it is a shame that hundreds of volunteer hours need to be spent on log checking, but perhaps this is simply the nature of the beast. Is there a shortage of volunteers to do this work? When a large percentage of contesters today is retired, is it so difficult to find volunteers? I do not recall seeing a lot of pleas on CQ-Contest asking for log-checking volunteers. The log checking process seems to be getting better and better, no doubt thanks in large part to the leadership of K5ZD and the many volunteers. I personally trust the SO results, especially for the top scores, and I believe that most others do too. And isn't the "assistance detecting" software getting better and better? Finally, we have recently seen an excellent example of the good that can come from making logs public. Perhaps logs should be made public at an earlier stage and the public should be given a role in the log checking process.

In summary:

What is being proposed is not a "combining" of categories but the elimination of the most popular category
EU is not overwhelmingly in favor of "combining"
The contester survey needs to be improved
Contesters still enter SO more than SOA
There is much that can be done to improve policing
That log checking presents some difficulties is not a good reason for eliminating the SO category.

73,

Hal W1NN