Re: [CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Futurer

To: "w7WHY@frontier.com" <w7WHY@frontier.com>, Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Futurer
From: James Rodenkirch <Rodenkirch_LLC@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 18:46:53 +0000
Tom: what could go down in Winlink that would affect most users? The Internet,
I suspect, or a virus in the majority of the CMSs or
RMSs???

I'm not very knowledgeable on the "workings" of Winlink but I'm guessing you'd
need to find:

1) a good buddy capable of communicating via CW, RTTY or SSB and knew what a
message handling net meant
or
2) a good buddy capable of communicating via CW, RTTY or SSB and knew how to
pass messages
OR
3) you get on the air and do #1 or #2

Jim

You are getting correct on the idea that more and more hams are shifting to
Winlink (which to me is not even ham radio - more like VOIP or SKYPE).

I participate in some traffic handling nets, CW and SSB, and more and more
I hear someone check into the net with traffic and make the statement,
"I'll Winlink these to you" instead of doing the old ways.

I participated for years in traffic nets and the fun was always in the
proficiency of these guys to pass traffic on CW with great efficiency.  A
LOT of these guys are now the ones I now work in the CW contests.  Think
most of the good ones came from traffic nets.

What is gonna happen in an emergency when the Winlink's are all down.  73
Tom W7WHY