Re: [CQ-Contest] 40m lower band edge SSB

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40m lower band edge SSB
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 19:53:36 -0300
Won't/can't answer your question Mike as I am not a USA op, however I will
say I heard a few W's calling some DX between 7100-7125....and even one or
two below 7100 calling someone rare. (I presume they edit the freq recorded
in their log later on. That, or log checkers don't care)

It's no skin off my nose as VE's get the whole band. (don't hate me because
of our Reg's) but I did find it quite ironic once  this weekend when I was
calling some Middle Eastern DX on (I think) 7088 +/- and someone with a
strong southern accent screamed at me like it was  the end of the world
"you're out of band! you're out of band!"

I aimed the 4-square SW for a moment and screamed right back.  "I don't
think so buddy, I'm not following the USA bandplan !"

All this to say, I don't think many know (or much less care) about 1-2kHz of
splatter.  When some folks (albeit in the small minority) are transmitting
anywhere on 40, then a bit of splatter is small potatoes.

Mike VE9AA

p.s.-tnx for the Q's this w/e

p.p.s.-In WAE and I think WAG too, I saw cluster spots posting me as "out of
band" on 20 & 40...which I clearly was not.

https://wp.rac.ca/rac-0-30-mhz-band-plan/

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB