Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 22:17:44 -0600
Kelly,

The topic kinda drove off in another direction. There will never be a fair DX contest for everyone.

A suggestion was made that maybe USA stations should be able to work each other for one point. The US hams are the only contestants really being affected by the zero point rule. VE's can work USA all day long for a point or two and you have a huge population to work. USA can work Canada and we have what 100 times fewer people to work. I didn't look at the numbers of licensed hams in VE.

The European Union is not much different contest wise than the US states. EU can work EU all day long for points and tons and tons of mults and there is a growing base of contesting hams in EU.

Instead of people just shutting down the radio and doing something else, having someone to work for points would be nice for those of us not in the NE corridor. It won't make that much difference in the scores but might keep people playing.

I feel bad for making K3LR's 160 op dig out my puny signal probably for nothing on his end or any of the other USA stations. Should we feel bad for working our own country for country/zone credit. I heard sorry so many times. Not really what people should feeling is it?

Short of moving to the east coast what other suggestions do people have for making the contest more interesting when condx stink? If nothing continues to be done, you can expect more people to just turn off the radio on these types of weekends. That result is bad for all.

W0MU