Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 09:32:32 -0600
Ed,

I will assume you are being a smart ass with your post. I have operated and submitted logs with CQ WW for many many years from my Colorado homes. My first entry was in 1979. I operated many times from K0RF. Just because people don't send in logs does not mean they didn't operate.

I guess the most frustrating part of this for many of us that don't live in the EU rich east coast is the inability for people to admit or even acknowledge that maybe we have a point. Maybe the contest is quite different from our QTH's. Moving is not option. It gets old trying to have a discussion on how to improve something when the EU rich corridor is so afraid of losing their built in advantage that no options are acceptable. This is just wrong.

Lets see how participation was this year before making any comparisons.
From my perspective and wide open segments of the band, I would suggest
that from the NA side this might be one of the worst participation years in a long time.

If enough people start voting with their power buttons, CQ WW might not be so fun for anyone.

What I continue to find interesting is that nobody wants to discuss the USA States vs the European Union comparison I made. We have a multiplier rich continent with many more hams than ever, who really have no reason to work the USA other than to get 3 zones and no real reason to attempt to work anyone past the east coast areas.

Nearly every log summary from our club in the Rockies talked about how bad conditions were and many just turned off the radio. This is a bad thing. If we had people to work like the folks in EU maybe more people would have stuck around.

I am glad that other people around the globe had a much better experience in this one. Maybe it was a once in a lifetime event. But then again has anyone been reading about just how poor this cycle and the next ones might be?

W0MU