Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Enforcement - why not power cheating?

To: Ken Widelitz <widelitz@gte.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Enforcement - why not power cheating?
From: "ve4xt@mymts.net" <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 09:24:16 -0600
There are many, many reasons why the sending of referees is a bad idea.

In states with castle laws, lead poisoning is a concern.

Most spouses are, or should be, savvy enough to know that some yahoo at the
door with a 'letter' should never be granted access, with police intervention
if necessary, and the contester who is alone is likely too busy to answer the
door. And if the operator is not that busy, then how much advantage is being
gained anyway?

So then, what? Grant contest representatives police powers? Would the uniform
include jackboots?

You going to arrange a visit in advance? What would that accomplish? The
cheater will just arrange things to appear in compliance, and all those not
selected know they have carte blanche to cheat at will.

Interesting Ken's "heart attack" would be in Canada. I'm sure there's a
parallel in the US, but in Canada, if you're committing an illegal act, such as
trespassing, and someone dies or is injured as a result, the charges could
range from criminal negligence causing death (or bodily harm) up to
manslaughter.

Even with the powers of police, such an intrusion, absent probable cause, is
trespassing.

This is, despite however much money some people, of their own volition, have
decided to spend, just a hobby.

Want to create a semi-pro circuit with drug-testing, referees and constant
surveillance? Then those folks should find their own way to pay for it.

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPad