Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet ruined ham radio

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet ruined ham radio
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 11:45:24 -0500

"I know I'm a minority, but I liked it better the old way."

Then still do it your way.  That's what I do.  No packet, no panadapter.
Just tuning the knobs.  And I am reminded at every contest just how fun that
is.

Grabbing stations under the big guns that people are missing is a blast.

Tuning what should be a dead band and finding an unexpected mult is a blast.

I feel bad for people that have never experienced it.  Their loss.

I am hopeful that there will remain unassisted categories for those that
enjoy the above.  But have already come to peace with the fact that even if
the category gets eliminated, I will continue to contest the way I enjoy it.

That being said, what can't be ignored is the change to the overall game as
people are spotted or RBN harvested.  As long as the tool is out there and
helping everyone, I just want my fair share of being helped when I am CQing.
I can only control my end of the interaction.

Enjoy the game.

Ed  N1UR