Re: [CQ-Contest] Other ARRL rules that need to be fixed

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Other ARRL rules that need to be fixed
From: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 11:08:52 -0400
Bob, your interpretation of the ARRL rule is far beyond its bounds.  Fairly
read and in context, it refers to non-operating help with the station
DURING the contest.

To me, this rule is addressing the situation described, for example, by the
operator of the top claimed SOAB score described on 3830scores in this
year's ARRL CW contest   Amplifier died and 40M antenna rotation failed.
Another person fixed these issues during the contest, while the single
operator continued operating.  The issue raised in whether this should be
SOAB -- with another directly assisting at the station with normal but
non-operating issues -- or should this be SOAB unlimited or single
transmitter multi-op?

I have no strong opinion right now, but it is a legitimate issue for
discussion.  Thanks for bringing this rule to our attention, I had not
enoticed it, maybe because it doesn't affect me in any fashion. During
contests I am completely alone and even have to microwave my own meals and
brew my own coffee as well as fix any station issues.  (But I think the
luxury of having someone bring coffee and meals should not change one's
contest category.)

73, Dave K3ZJ