Re: [CQ-Contest] Other ARRL rules that need to be fixed

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Other ARRL rules that need to be fixed
From: Greg Becker <greg.na2n@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 10:06:00 -0400
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 8:29 AM, <w5ov@w5ov.com> wrote:

> his precludes anyone who gets help building their station, hires someone
> to install their antennas, set up their software, etc., from ever entering
> as a single operator.
>
> So, if you have a bunch of locals help you put up or repair your antenna,
> you can never enter as a single operator.  If you send your FTDX-5000 to
> Yaesu, for repair, you can never enter as single operator.  If you own a
> big station, and involve other people in building or maintaining your
> station, no one can ever enter as a single op from your station.
>
> How many single ops actually build and operate their stations without
> having anyone ever help them?

I read that completely differently, Bob -

The plain-language rules clearly apply to what happens during the contest
period - not 24/7/365. So during the contest, no one else can fix, adjust,
or aim your antennas. No one else can tune your radios, adjust your
amplifier settings, or repair your broken paddles.

If we were to apply your thinking to every aspect of amateur operations:

Anyone who ever operated a WARC band would be ineligible
Anyone who ever operated SSB or a digital mode would be ineligible for CW
contests
Etc...

73,

Greg NA2N