Re: [CQ-Contest] Appropriate wait time for contest results?

To: Stu Phillips <stu@k6tu.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Appropriate wait time for contest results?
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 08:04:29 -0500
Are you under the impression sponsors don't want results out sooner? That
there's some kind of conspiracy to delay the work involved?

Have you volunteered to assist with adjudication?

The economics of running a contest aren't fantastic. There are no entry fees
and sponsorships are generally restricted to plaques and awards, so most of the
work is by volunteers, from the contest directors to the folks who do
log-checking.

These people have jobs, wives, husbands, kids and lives. Automation may have
simplified much of the work, but it's still a lot of work, especially if
there's plenty of pressure to detect cheating.

One major contest sponsor is having trouble keeping the lights on, witness the
problems with delivery of a certain magazine. Another sponsor is well-funded,
but has much more on its plate than contests.

If it was easy to get results out quicker, don't you think sponsors would?
Publication schedules are set around the time it takes to compile results. It's
not that the time it takes to compile results is dependent on publication
schedules, especially since results once available are online before they are
in print.

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPhone