Re: [CQ-Contest] Time to QSY?

To: Steve London <n2ic@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Time to QSY?
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:03:17 -0400
Best single-element, 160 compromise antenna  I've used at many QTHs is the
so-called K2KQ Double-L.  (http://www.yccc.org/Articles/double_l.htm)

Balanced, no radials required, vertical polarization with the current point
up fairly high, and very easy to make, so no huge investment to try it out.

73, Gerry W1VE

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hah !
>
> Sit in my shoes, on a dry, rocky mountaintop in SW New Mexico, with poor
> dielectric and conductivity characteristics. Essentially, no soil - just
> rocks.
>
> I have tried a number of single-element 160 antennas over the years, with
> less-than-satisfying results. I evaluate each of them by the percentage of
> EU stations that CQ in my face on a good Europe night.
>
> A marked difference from my previous Colorado QTH, which had a 1/4 wave
> sloper over flat, irrigated farm land.
>
> You can get away with some pretty poor transmit antennas on 160 if you
> have good ground characteristics under them. For poor ground, lots of
> radials somewhat, but not entirely, mitigates the problem.
>
> 73,
> Steve, N2IC
>

> On 03/17/2017 04:57 PM, Chuck Dietz wrote:
>
>> I use a 1/4 wave sloper on 160 with the top at about 130 feet on a 155
>> foot
>> tower. I have a receiving array, but I have never heard any 160m station I
>> could not contact. East coast stations tell me I have EU pile ups I can't
>> hear after I have worked all the loud ones. I think transmit antennas are
>> easy. It is the receive antennas that are a problem.
>>
>> Chuck W5PR
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:53 PM Wes Jennings <wjennings2011@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Steve as you know I am setting up here also. 4 sq on 40m - 2multi band
>>> verts for 80 phased. And inverted l for 160. Now on a small city lot my
>>> old
>>> elmer had KLM tribander, 2ele 40m beam, shunt fed the tower for 160,80
>>> with
>>> beverages that fit in the lot. Did real well on that setup
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> WL7F