Re: [CQ-Contest] What is Multi to you?

To: CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What is Multi to you?
From: Tony Osman <tonyosman2014@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 11:28:06 -0400
Gerry

I am enjoying this thread and listening to the various arguments. I have participated in all entry classes in CQWW (with the exception of QRP) and I have enjoyed them all. I do find that multi-single (when keeping to the rules) is one entry where you can have other operators manning the multiplier station who are guys newer to contesting and could be intimidated by the abilities of others to run at high rates, but know that they are fully participating by finding new mults. It is a good opportunity to bring someone into the contesting game. Are you going to win? probably not, but mentoring has its own winning....

I am in awe of the guys who can sustain very high rates (running 150-200 qs per hour as an AVERAGE!). They have a special talent and I can only wonder at it - the same as I wonder at golfers who can shoot a 64 on a course that I shoot 64 (on the back 9!). It is interesting to see some M/S QSO totals that are almost as high as M/2 (within 10%). Participants in M/S can have advantages when a M/M station uses its resources to supply many more multiplier operators, but I doubt if this has anything like the same advantage that the geographical advantage has - 3 point vs 2 point per QSO. The running station still has to make a very large number of contacts and yes, if you have multiple people of the same high skill level available, they are going to be able to run faster for shorter periods of time than the 48hr marathon, but that is just the nature of the team and the category.

However, none of this does not stop me from competing. My goal is always to beat my personal best, in this I am competing solely against me, the same station, the same antennas (mostly) but each time a year older! I also enjoy team competition where I no longer have to try and stay the full course and the camaraderie for the weekend is even better than the actual contest (well - almost).

I also remember that this is not my livelihood but a hobby. So I will be happy to have a beer with you and Yuri at Dayton too!

Tony
VE3RZ