Re: [CQ-Contest] What is Multi to you?

To: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>, CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What is Multi to you?
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 09:27:08 -0400
Great ideas, Stan.

Filtering the results sounds like a good idea, but would cause a hell of a
lot of work for the committee and volunteers.   Overlays makes sense -- in
any category.

Creating a new class of entry just so other people can win (or have more
opportunity to win) as a criteria on it's own makes little sense.   In VHF
Contesting in North America, ARRL created the "Limited Multioperator"
category, essentially because one group has dominated the Unlimited
category for almost the entire life of the June/September contests. (Even
is this was not the case, it sure looks that way.)    This had had the
effect of depressing QSOs on the microwave bands, probably something that
was not expected or wanted.   Contests thrive on more participation, not
less.

In the case for HF contests,  I see no downside of Classic, or other
additional overlays  in general..  I don't think it would increase
participation, and it might just increase activity.  The tension seems to
be between those who want to preserve records for all time in a particular
class, and those who want to bring new folks into the field.   Classic
scores could be compared to historical values prior to the addition of the
overlay.

The Rookie overlay is a great motivator.   Young/New contest ops don't need
"baby" contests where there's no real competition or participation.  They
want to be real competitors in real events.   Overlays give them something
to shoot for as they grow in skill.

As many have mentioned, mentoring is a big part of M/S...  perhaps we need
an overlay recognizing that,  so that those who "take the hit" for bringing
new ops into the fold are recognized.  Hey, how about even giving more
recognition to those new ops who were NEW members of a winning M/S, M/2 or
M/M?

On the other end of the spectrum, why not an Overlay for "Extreme" -- those
who advance the state of the art (such as many, many in-band stations for
M/S).   No one would think less of their accomplishment.  In fact, one
would think it would be a badge of honor to win in such an overlay category.

The challenge between Overlays and Entry Categories is records:  if a
station wins an overlay category, do they still win the category?  In
today's world, yes.
Is an overlay a declaration, like a category, or, is it something decided
during scoring/adjudication?  (I mean in the future).

73, Gerry W1VE