Re: [CQ-Contest] Hamvention - New Venue, etc.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Hamvention - New Venue, etc.
From: Bill via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 23:42:38 -0400
My two cents.

Overall, I'd give it a B or B-.

Positive stuff:

Food was A+....excellent variety, fair prices and good quality
Forum facilities were an A....air conditioning worked and the rooms were plenty
large
Exhibitors facilities were an A...nicely spread out and no major congestion
even when it started raining
Planning ...B-  Maps were posted and the booklet about the hamfest was
complete.  They obviously spent a lot of time planning this.  However they blew
it on the traffic...see below.
Restrooms...A  lots of porta-potties and they were pretty clean (for
porta-potties)  Also lots of regular facilties.

Negative stuff:

Traffic: F... it sucked...the roads leading to the place are all 2 lane roads.
I got there at 7 AM and the traffic was already backed up a quarter mile.
Others got there later and were stuck in traffic a long time.  I know they
can't do anything about the roads, they are what they are.  However, they
better figure out something since many of the guys I talked to said they
weren't coming back until this was resolved.  Friday was horrible, Saturday was
a little bit better since there were less people there.

Flea market was a D.  Why?  The flea market is set up on the infield of a horse
racing track.  The track itself was nice and firm.  However, with cars, ATVs
and golf cart driving on the grass infield in combination with the some rain,
the lanes where you walked became very muddy by mid-day Saturday.  Several guys
slipped and fell into the mud.  Some equipment for sale was spattered by mud
from the golf carts, ATVs and cars using the lanes.  Same happened to some
people.  It really was a mess with several cars getting stuck.  I know they
can't do anything about the weather, but they need to address this since the
fleas are what really appeal to many of the hams.

Overall, it was a big improvement over the old place.

My two cents.

K4XS/KH7XS