Re: [CQ-Contest] Flex radios

To: john@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Flex radios
From: Ria Jairam <rjairam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 00:00:25 -0400
There are very few Flex users who use them on DXpeditions. I suspect there
is simply distrust in a radio that is primarily computer based rather than
a radio with knobs. Elecraft is a known quantity and has knobs even though
I find the front panel to be not as elegant as say, an icom or Kenwood.

At the Thursday contest and DX presentation Flex touted the Maestro as
having a more simplified "knobs" UI than traditional radios. However I
suspect that most DX and contest hams will still see it as a niche product.

Bouvet is going to use them, maybe opinions will change, or maybe not.

I am 100% sold on them, partially because I don't really like knobs and I
find the computer UI to be much easier to use. But also they've cleaned up
a whole lot of wires I had strewn all over the place and I can operate
remotely very easily.

Ria
N2RJ