Re: [CQ-Contest] KU1CW location

To: "W4AAW@aol.com" <W4AAW@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KU1CW location
From: Ria Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 17:53:29 -0400
> W1VE and other serious operators of remote-capable stations will agree with
> me:  We
> remote-capable stations are not trying to fool anyone or gain some sort of
> geographical or
> unfair advantage.  We're just being competitive and striving to do so
> strictly within the rules.

There is really nothing wrong with trying to gain an advantage during
a contest. That's what contesting is. As long as it is within the
rules. Operating from elsewhere to do better in contests has been a
staple of contesting for pretty much as long as it has existed.

>2. Alex is a member of TeamW4AAW, which operates the first Totally Remote M/M
>station.
>We have 31 team members who operate W4AAW's positions from all over NA, from
>Panama,
> Europe and Asia, provided they meet legal/licensing requirements.

Just be careful that you are indeed doing so. CEPT T/R 61-01 is not
sufficient authorization for a European licensee to operate an
internet remote base in the US while being physically present
overseas. Even if they were allowed, their home license restrictions
and power limits (while not exceeding US Extra) apply. In the UK it is
400 watts for full licenses and in Germany it is 750W for class A
licenses. Other European countries may be different. The best thing
for them to do to be compliant with the laws of the US is to get a US
license. There are VE sessions in many countries overseas and one can
get a license by passing the (now very easy) exams. No code required,
even.

>4.  The 3830 comments for KU1CW @ W4AAW in the CQWPX CW test very clearly show
>the
> locations of each operator.

An awards chaser who isn't competing in the contest is unlikely to
know about nor care about 3830. The best thing to do would be to put
the location of the stations in the QRZ profile, which is the first
place they look.

73
Ria, N2RJ