Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Scoreboards - a different perspective

To: "Victor Androsov" <victor.androsov@gmail.com>, "k2ttt" <k2ttt@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Scoreboards - a different perspective
From: "Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\)" <K8UT@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 06:54:31 -0400
Thanks Victor for your efforts with this new approach to contesting. Reading the reflector responses, everybody seems to be looking at online scoreboards as merely a real-time 3830 substitute. That's because we're nailing it against a traditional type of contest (and its traditional rules) where it might not be a good fit. Victor's survey asks questions based on that perspective.

But what if there were a contest where online scoreboards were part of the contest, and participation was necessary?

Several weeks ago, Wayne N6KR of Elecraft noticed a band opening on 10 meters and posted a message on the Elecraft reflector proclaiming a “Flash Mob experiment, right now, on 28.050!” Many - I counted dozens - of the Elecraft faithful converged on 10 CW for something akin to an instant contest. No scoring. No rules. But what a cool idea!

In a hobby that is struggling to attract young members and compete with the Internet, instant gratification, and spontaneous participation, I think Wayne’s experiment demonstrated a clever connection between the Internet and a ham radio activity.

Imagine an event using real-time reporting with a specific goal. My nearest analogy would be a Horse Race - first one to the goal wins. Email example: “SUBJECT: Flash mob – horse race on 28.025 CW!” Details and goals included in email body. Goals not necessarily traditional raw QSO counts – stuff like First to 5 DXCC Countries or 10 States or Grid Squares or... whatever.

The incredible success of the weekly CWOPS one-hour contests proves that there is an audience for short non-acclaimed (no prizes, no fanfare, no log submission, no 48 hours sitting in a chair) events. Horse racing (aka online scoreboards) bends that model into something that might attract those hams plus some of the younger crowd.

-larry (K8UT)
-----Original Message----- From: Victor Androsov