Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R

To: BobK8IA@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R
From: Dave Edmonds <dave@pkministrywebs.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 18:18:56 -0400
Thanks Bob...

I've never had scores anywhere near your excellent NAQP scores, but I still
love to compete as I can with anyone... SO1R, SO2R or SO3V etc... They
usually are up there on the top, but operator skills and experience can
make all the difference. As Steve mentioned, SO2R and NAQP is a perfect
combination...

73s Dave WN4AFP

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 5:51 PM, <BobK8IA@aol.com> wrote:

> I have always enjoyed NAQP CW and competing with the SO2R crowd is fun. I
> would never want to see SO2R and SO1R as separate categories. They should
> not be. The SO2R ops skills should be rewarded. Conversely, there are
> probably a few of us that do fairly well not using SO2R
>
> I use SO2V via a two rx K3, a far cry from SO2R and, frankly, SO2V is not
> too productive in a high rate contest such as NAQP CW. I am usually just
> too busy running rate to bother with that second in-band rx. Other than a
> small percentage of qso's (maybe 50-60 per NAQP CW), I could be considered
> SO1R.
>
> Although, due to some storm damage here, I was unable to compete in last
> weekends NAQP CW, some of my recent past top 25 (actually 26 as you will
> see) final scores look good for a non-SO2R old guy:
>
> 2017 Jan NAQP CW - K8IA #6 Overall - 1213/224 = 271,712  (8 band changes)
> 2016 Aug NAQP CW - K8IA #6 Overall - 1032/193 = 199,176  (11 band changes)
> 2016 Jan NAQP CW - K8IA #18 Overall - 1172/223 = 261,356  (11 band changes)
> 2015 Aug NAQP CW - K8IA #26 Overall - 990/212 = 209,880  (18 band changes)
> 2015 Jan NAQP CW - K8IA #18 Overall - 1155/247 = 285,285 (14 band changes)
>
> My point is that, a SO2R op will beat me most of the time, but not
> necessarily all the time.
>
> I am having fun doing what I do with the modest station I have. I have no
> plans for SO2R. My highest antenna is only 78' up and just a 3 el SteppIR
> at that. No magic station, certainly no magic op but a persistent old coot
> that likes to have some fun in NAQP CW. I missed you folks last weekend!
>

> 73, Bob K8IA
> Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

> In a message dated 8/8/2017 10:03:23 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
> dave@pkministrywebs.com writes:
>
> The top 25 players (according to 3830scores.com) in the NAQP CW contest
> were running SO2R. Congrats to N9NB a SO1R op who broke the chain of SO2R
> scores.. The concern I saw was that there were no SO1R stations anywhere
> near the top scores in the NAQP LP category. There was a very wide score
> margin between the two types of operation too...
>
> Is a category for number of receivers needed in the world of contesting?
>
> How are SO1R ops doing in other contests competing against SO2Rs?
>
> Does not having a "number of receivers" category discourage SO1Rs from
> competing?
>
> Are there any contests that have such a category?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> 73s Dave WN4AFP

Dave Edmonds
PK Ministry Webs