Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: Re: Some SSCW Ideas

To: kzerohb@gmail.com, CQ-Contest@Contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: Re: Some SSCW Ideas
From: Paul Schaffenberger via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 23:23:32 -0500
Hans, I worked my first sweepstakes in 1963.  Believe me, what I'm
proposing would make SS feel much like what I experienced back then.  There was
good activity on all bands, seemingly endless pool of stations to work.
There were big guns with pileups even on Sunday afternoon. There were little
pistols like myself that were still using their Novice gear with the addition
of a VFO.   Some stations only worked a single band, because they were using
Command Sets. We had the same variations in stations and capabilities just like
we do today, we simply didn't have the technology to build a contest
infrastructure that would support tracking and scoring a broad diversity of
effort.

We aren't really changing anything, we are simply acknowledging activities
that already exist inside the existing SS structure and expanding scoring to
include those realities.

Think about when Sweepstakes was two weekends!  Eventually operators and
equipment improved to the point that the second weekend became like a long
Sunday afternoon for many.  The duration of the contest changed, and the
contest was good for another several years. We're now in a crisis, because
technology and operating skills have allowed us to do so much more in much less
time.  One answer to this "problem" is to make the contest shorter, but if we
cut the contest down to less than 24 hours (or even 30 hours)  we lose the
ability to experience the full daily propagation cycle, and the fun and
strategy that goes with it.

I humbly suggest that we look inside the existing time block and find out what
we can do to better fill that time. Longer exchanges?  Hell, no!  Splitting the
time into a high band and low band segment? No, it only limits options and
ignores propagation.  So we're left with is opening up the contest to a huge
increase in QSOs and scoring opportunities by allowing a QSO per band and
perhaps multipliers per band as well.  Additionally, we have people in SS that
can only operate one band, for a variety of reasons. Let them compete as a
single-band entry!  Let others even compete for single band awards on several
bands if they wish. Consider incentives that will increase participation!

Or shall we just watch this contest die over the next several years?

Paul, K5AF

I clearly remember that during my first few sweepstakes I was
In a message dated 11/8/2017 3:53:21 PM Central Standard Time,