Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful what you wish for

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful what you wish for
From: Gerry Hull <w1ve@telosity.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 04:16:52 +0000
It all seems like the post-SS blues i’ve Seen on this reflector since the
inception of the reflector.  SS is the oldest contest in ham radio, and
bellyaching about it, I believe, will do no good.  As Ward says, pick a
rare section and go there.  I’ve figured out how to do that without really
traveling, though it has its unique challenges.   Figuring out how to make
SS fun is just another challenge.   The club challenges are one good idea.
We could change the rules every year and there would always be complaints.
Maybe activity was down this year, but CW SS is still a pretty darn popular
contest, and has certainly passed the test of time.  Like an old Canadian
TV commercial says “Those who like it, like it a lot.”

My frustration Sunday was I went to S&P after running finally became
counter productive, and while I was tuning for stations, the PR and VI
stations were doing the same as me..... oh well, that’s what makes SS
strategy interesting.

As a thrill-seeking run op, I love the quality of CW ops in SS.  I can run
as fast as I want and pretty much everybody runs as a smooth machine.

IMHO, no reason to mess with this classic.  It is a beauty.

Onward and forward to SS SSB (a different distraction) and CQWW CW.

73,

Gerry, VE1RM/W1VE
Representing NT from VY1AAA@VY1JA