Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful what you wish for

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful what you wish for
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 11:09:16 -0800
On 11/7/2017 7:27 AM, John Geiger wrote:
You had me beat there. I didn't hear any VE4s the entire contest.

Early Saturday, I heard a weak VE4 for a few minutes, but could never have worked him QRP from W6. Late Sunday I heard a fairly strong S&P station send MB once, but only heard the last part of the exchange, never heard him call CQ, and he never came back to my CQs. My only SB was the last QSO in my log!

NCCC sponsors CQP, and we make a serious effort to get every county on the air with a strong stations and strong operators. That isn't easy in a state as big as CA with lots of counties with low population density and long driving distances from population centers. I'm part of a team that includes N3ZZ, K6SRZ, W6GJB, and K6MI to light up rare counties. Thanks to these expeditions, it's not unusual for the first 58-county sweep to be made in the first six hours of the contest!

It appears that the only activity from NNY was by NCCC member N6EE operating a remote station there, and due to internet issues, he was only able to be on briefly at the end of the contest. NLI was a holdout until KD2RD fired up late Sunday morning, and I heard (and worked) only one other NLI station late Sunday evening.

How about some contesters setting up contest expeditions to some of these rare sections for SS?

73, Jim K9YC