Re: [CQ-Contest] Interesting Youth In Ham Radio (was Digest)

To: Matt NQ6N <matt@nq6n.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Interesting Youth In Ham Radio (was Digest)
From: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 02:05:20 +0000
Hi Matt,

I'll agree that MOST hams are friendly and really want to get newcomers
into the hobby. I'm a moderator of the amateur radio group over on reddit.
Unfortunately, it isn't terribly uncommon to hear of new hams trying to
make their first contacts on a repeater and get driven off by other people
on the repeater or just blatantly ignored. There's also occasional stories
of new hams not being welcomed in club meetings when they show up to check
out what's going on. I suspect we hear a lot more of these tales because of
the medium, reddit attracts a lot of younger people. It also seems like
many of these grumps are FM VHF only and mainly on repeaters and stick to
their own circles. I've also heard of newbies being blasted when calling CQ
on a repeater - yeah, it's considered incorrect, but a gentle correction to
someone who is just trying to do the right thing is more appropriate.
There's also the cesspool that are some of the other amateur radio forums
out there where people complain a lot about these no-code-lids ruining the
hobby.

In case anyone got that impression from one of my previous emails - I don't
think every older ham is a grump, or even the majority. I know a ton of
older hams that are incredibly helpful and will bend over backwards to work
with you and make sure you're in a good place. I'll also point out that
there's some problems in the younger crowd - I've had to wield my banhammer
on occasion on reddit. There is just a larger population of older hams than
younger, so by percentage overall there are more bad eggs in the older
crew. It's a matter of perception, I suppose.

One thing we should keep in mind is the (oh man, here goes the can of
worms) raging after every contest about the digital modes. We should try
and get more people involved in SSB, CW or even RTTY...but the JT modes are
here to stay and a lot of younger hams really enjoy using them. Attacking
them for running JT65 or FT8 is divisive and not really conducive to
getting people to stay with the hobby. I regret writing this already.

I wish some of the maker spaces around me had ham equipment - that's
another good place! I know my first encounter with amateur radio was doing
the radio merit badge with the Boy Scouts (Camp Ockanickon - I think we
were K3BSA), and getting more kids exposed in the BSA or GSA would be
another boost. My kid isn't old enough for scouting yet, and my time is
crazy busy right now with a master's program and work and family, but
should he get involved in the scouts I know I'll be more than willing to
work that badge with the troop.

Your point about being apartment restricted is a good one. I'm amazed at
how many of the people I work with (I work at a software company) are
living with roommates in apartments. Many under-30 year olds can't afford a
house, so they are restricted to whatever they can stick on a balcony or
get out in the field. This another hard kick in the head for getting people
active on HF. Finding interesting things for a ham to do when they are
stuck in an apartment or condo will go far.

My comments about HAB, sat work and similar are more about finding "gateway
drugs" into the hobby. Something you can hold up and say "look at this,
it's cool" and the layman will agree.

Another thing I thought of - it's entertaining to see all of the reactions
we get when the VHF rover parks in an area with some foot traffic. Plenty
of opportunities for evangelism, once you get past all of the comments
about phoning home. I doubt we have much retention on that interest, but at
least it's a little publicity.

73,
Sean WA1TE