[CQ-Contest] Contest Recording

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Recording
From: MARK BAILEY <kd4d@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 13:01:31 -0500 (EST)
Good day, everyone:

I am trying to figure out the best way to record contest audio from a K3 and an
FTdx-5000 and to provide a separate audio feed for monitoring.  My first
attempt was to use the "Line Out" from the K3 (works great and you can adjust
the level from a K3 menu) and the FTdx-5000 "Rec" jack.  I put in a headphone
splitter/amplifier and fed a set of headphones and two small USB voice
recorders.

The output level on the "Rec" jack is way too low to drive the recorders - even
with amplification from the headphone splitter.  I briefly tried the "AF Out"
jack but ran out of time - was my mistake not using the "AF Out" jack?  It
looks like this should work from the manual (300mV peak-to-peak versus 30mV for
the "Rec" jack).

Has anyone successfully used the "AF Out" jack or another approach to make this
work?  I need to have the same levels out of the two radios (the K3 can't be
adjusted low enough to match the FTdx-5000).

I would prefer not to tap the headphone audio for recordings - the levels are
hard to get right and different headphones change the behavior.  The "Line Out"
sort of connectors don't interact with the operators settings.

73,

Mark, KD4D